The hits keep coming.
The email is evidence that the NSW Government’s cuts to workers compensation have emboldened employer groups to push for even deeper cuts to the entitlements of sick and injured workers.
The leaked correspondence shows that after a request from the Australian Federation of Employers and Industries, WorkCover changed its position on the accrual of annual leave by people on workers compensation.
The email, sent on Friday, 20 July by a senior WorkCover official states:
“I understand that this is a reversal of what has previously been the advice given by WorkCover to to employers, workers and others.
“The EMSU team are currently responding to a specific query from the AFEI on this issue, drafting a letter to them confirming the above changed position and also drafting a brief to the Minister’s Office advising of the above position…”
Unions NSW Secretary, Mark Lennon, said the fact that policy was being framed by the demands of employers and insurers was a worrying sign.
“Employers and WorkCover are receiving signals from the State Government that it’s OK to further attack the rights and entitlements of sick and injured workers,” Mr Lennon said.
“The State Government needs to intervene and restore balance to WorkCover’s activities.
“It’s disturbing that an independent statutory authority could be perceived as taking its orders from the employer lobby.
“Unfortunately, this is what happens when a Government give the business lobby carte blanche to pursue its agenda.”