A World of Hurt: the independent medical examination
Unfortunately, for William Cassone, the road to workers’ compensation led through the office of Dr. Hershel Samuels, an Independent Medical Examiner with the New York state’s worker’s compensation system.
In New York State, many IME “brokers” actually write the report for the examining doctor and simply send the doctor the finished product for signature.
Some IME brokers (entities) have been caught red handed changing the findings and degree of disability of their own examining physicians. I know – I’ve seen the changed reports – as this was proved in the scathing NY Times series in 2009 exposing IME Dr. Hershel Samuels. (see video below).
As Dr. Samuels nonchalantly stated on the video:
If you did a truly pure report….you’d be out on your ears and the insurers wouldn’t pay for it. You have to give them what they want, or you’re in Florida. That’s the game, baby.
How’s that for honesty, ‘baby’!
We all know that this very same type of of IME FRAUD is happening here in Australia too, man, it’s even happened to me! I have been gobsmacked on numerous occasions just reading through some of the so called independent medical examination reports.
- that my so-called reflex sympathetic dystrophy (aka chronic regional pain syndrome), which was diagnosed by a very reputable and world-renowned pain specialist (and involves quite a few tests such as temperature testing of both limbs etc) is nothing more but a ‘bluish discoloration’ because I am keeping the “arm dependent”, obviously omitting that I have been wearing arm sling for the past 2 years (which keeps the arm/hand above heart level and therefore could not explain your arm/hand turning BLUE)
- that I have an old ring finger injury (correct) which resulted in a partial amputation (correct) but also an ulnar LACERATION (since when) and therefore my little finger is permanently bend (unable to straighten). That this little finger became bend is in FACT the result of a NERVE injury following surgery to the arm in 2009 and nothing more
- that I have “normal range of movement” in the elbow – where in FACT my elbow has been stuck at 30 degrees for over 2 years because I have been wearing a sling for so long (and workcover ceased my physiotherapy), and the elbow has thus become STIFF as a consequence
- that I have “normal neck movement”, whilst the fact is that I can’t even turn my neck to left because of extremely severe and constant muscle spams because my neck is trying to keep my shoulder in its socket
- one report stated that I can ‘freely do overhead movements’ (as for work) – whilst I have NO movement in the right arm at all
- oh and that my severe depression is CAUSED by the fact that I am upset that my (elderly) parents were unable to visit me when I had a cardiac arrest during surgery (for surgery to the arm)!
- etc etc.
What about your independent medical examinations?