Are you a victim of a personal work injury ? It is very important that you seek the assistance of an experienced and trained personal injury lawyer who can help you seek justice as well as due compensation for your injuries. In some cases, you may be owed a settlement for damages that you have incurred from the incident. A personal injury lawyer is trained and experienced to help you with cases such as this where you receive an injury at the fault or neglect of someone else. Personal injury lawyers can also handle cases of wrongful death or accidents that result in permanent damage to the person.
Questions to Ask Before Signing Up With a Personal Injury Lawyer
The questions you ask before signing up will help you determine whether or not a particular personal injury lawyer that you are considering is right for the job. This will help you determine their level of experience with cases such as yours as well as how committed they are to your case and helping you.
Here are some sample questions to help get you started on your own list:
- How long have you worked as a personal injury lawyer?
- What types of cases have you worked on?
- What is your track record on your cases?
- What types of settlements have you helped your clients get before?
- How do you see yourself being able to help me with my case?
- How will we communicate regarding my case?
- Will you be handling my case or will another lawyer from your firm be handling it?
- How long has your firm been in practice and how long have you personally been in practice?
- Do you have experience with my type of personal injury case?
- What fees do you charge and how do you charge for services?
- What are my rights and how do I protect them?
- How will the insurance company be handled?
- Do I speak directly to the insurance company or will you handle this?
- What information do you need from me to file my claim?
- How long will my personal injury case take to settle?
- What compensation am I entitled to?
- What is the legal process?
- How long do I have to file my claim?
- How will you charge me if I do not get compensation for my injuries?
- What types of experts would the lawyer use to prove your case?
What you will need before meeting with your lawyer
- Copies of all accident/incident reports (incl.police report if appropriate) detailing your injury
- Copies of hospital, doctor and treatment records
- Bills/accounts from medical care providers
- Information regarding insurance coverage of your medical bills
- Reports from doctors regarding your diagnosis and prognosis
- Information about anticipated future medical costs
- Information regarding work you missed as a result of your injury
- A listing of all the ways your life has been affected by your injury
- A calendar, with all the important dates (date of injury, dates of surgery or other treatment and so forth)
- A description of any interaction with insurance companies
- Copies of correspondence with insurance company
- Copies of any claims already filed with your employer or an insurance company